One of my favorite things to do when I have some downtime -- insert sarcasm here -- is read a really good book. I love the Kindle because you can sample a book before you buy it, but lately I've been a little disappointed in my purchases. It's like I get past the sample portion that got me hooked, and then the rest of the book is ho-hum. That is the worst!
I don't know about you guys, but retailers' "Christmas in November" marketing scheme is definitely working on me. I'm such a sucker. Books are one of my favorite gifts to give, and here's a list of what I'll be wrapping up for friends and family this year:
- Just Being Audrey // Is there really a sweeter book to inspire a little girl?
- Southern My Way // Our spring cover girl, Gena Knox, knocks it out of the park with this cookbook. The recipes are stellar, and the photography in the book is to die for.
- Queen Bees and Wannabees // Kind of a Debbie Downer to give as a Christmas gift, but I told my sisters-in-law that they need to read it -- it's an eye-opener of a book for anyone with a daughter (says the girl who isn't a parent!)
- I Can Fly // The cutest little Golden book; I'll take a book illustrated by Mary Blair any day of the week.
- Stories I Only Tell My Friends // A real page-turner; Rob Lowe has had some crazy things happen in his life. And none of it is anything you'd suspect.
- This is New York // I adore every book in this series; why not teach your child about the most fabulous cities in the world as early as possible?
- Design*Sponge at Home // With all of the home decor books out there, this one is unique and inspiring -- it's everything I love about Grace's blog and more.
- The Paris Wife // Ernest Hemmingway's life with first wife Hadley is an exciting, romantic tale that I greatly enjoyed getting lost in for hours at a time.
- Love the One You're With // All of Giffin's books are juicy, scandalous and hard to put down, but this one was my favorite. I think I stayed up until 3 am one night -- quite by accident -- because I couldn't find a stopping place!
So friends, what books are your favorites at the moment? I'm not talking about your all time favorite books, just the ones that are fresh on your mind -- the ones that have you telling your friends right this moment..."you have to read this!" Personally, I'm dying to read Mindy Kaling's new book. She is so sassy and funny -- I just love her. What are you dying to read? Do you give books as Christmas gifts? Dish!
Photo credit above unknown, (eeps); edited with Photoshop by me